2013 — Present: Chancellor’s Fellow & Assistant Professor, University of Edinburgh Business School, Entrepreneurship & Innovation Group
- 2008 — 2013: Ph.D - University of Toronto Department of Geography
- Dissertation Title: The emergence of regional cultures and practices: A comparative study of Canadian software entrepreneurship
- Dissertation Committee: Harald Bathelt (advisor), Meric Gertler, Pierre Desrochers, Olav Sorenson
- 2006 — 2008: Masters of Arts - The Ohio State University Department of Geography
- 2002 — 2006: Honours Bachelors of Arts - University of Toronto: Social and Economy Geography
Peer Reviewed Articles
- B. Spigel and R. Harrison. Towards a process theory of entrepreneurial ecosystems. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal.
- B. Spigel. (Forthcoming) The place of culture within regional entrepreneurial practices: Mentorship in Ottawa and Waterloo, Canada. Journal of Economic Geography.
- B. Spigel. (Forthcoming) The relational organisation of entrepreneurial ecosystemsEntrepreneurship Theory and Practice.
- B. Spigel. (2016) Developing and governing entrepreneurial ecosystems: The structure of entrepreneurial support programs in Edinburgh, Scotland. International Journal of Innovation and Regional Development 7(2):141-160.
- C. Muellerleile, K. Strauss, B. Spigel and T. Narins. (2014). Economic geography and the financial crisis: Full speed ahead or missing the boat? The Professional Geographer 66(1):11-17.
- B. Spigel. (2013) Bourdieuian approaches to the geography of entrepreneurial cultures. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 25(9-10); 804-818.
- H. Bathelt, A. Munro and B. Spigel (2013). Challenges of transformation: Innovation, re-bundling and traditional manufacturing in Canada’s Technology Triangle. Regional Studies 47(7): 1111-1130.
- H. Bathelt and B. Spigel (2012). The spatial economy of North American trade fairs. The Canadian Geographer 56(1): 18-38.
- B. Spigel. (2012) The sources of regional variation in Canadian self-employment. The International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business 15(3):340-361
- H. Bathelt and B. Spigel (2011). University spin-offs and regional policy in comparative perspective: The cases of Columbus (Ohio) and Toronto and Waterloo (Ontario). International Journal for Knowledge-Based Development 2(2):202-219.
- B. Jones, B. Spigel, and E. J. Malecki. (2010) Blog links as pipelines to buzz elsewhere: The case of New York theatre blogs. Environment and Planning B 37(1):99-111
- E. Stam and B. Spigel. (2016) Entrepreneurial ecosystems. Forthcoming in: SAGE Handbook of Entrepreneurship and Small Business. R. Blackburn. D De Clercq, J. Heinonen, Z. Wang (eds). Sage: London
- B. Spigel (2016). The Cultural embeddedness of regional innovation: A Bourdieuian perspective. Forthcoming in: Handbook on the Geographies of Innovation. R. Shearmur, C. Carrincazeaux and D. Doloreux (eds). Elgar: London.
- C. Brunelle and B. Spigel (2016). Path dependency, entrepreneurship, and economic resilience in resource-driven economies. Lessons from the Newfoundland offshore oil industry. Forthcoming in: Creating Resilient Economies: Entrepreneurship, Growth and Development in Uncertain Times. T. Vorley and N. Williams (eds). Elgar: London.
- B. Spigel. (2016) Networking practices and networking cultures. Geographies of Entrepreneurship. Elizabeth Mack and Heifeng Qian (eds). pp. 32-47. Routledge: New York.
- B. Spigel and E. Malecki (2016). Entrepreneurship and innovation. Forthcoming in: The Elgar Companion to Innovation and Knowledge Creation. P. Cohendet, S. Henn, H. Bathelt and L. Simon (eds). Elgar: London.
- B. Spigel (2011). A series of unfortunate events: The growth, decline and rebirth of Ottawa’s Entrepreneurial Institutions. Advances in the Study of Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Economic Development, Volume 22, Gary D. Libecamp and Sherry Hoskinson (eds). pp. 47-72. Emerald: London.
Work in Progress
- B Spigel and R. Harrison. Towards a theory of entrepreneurial ecosystems. Revise and Resubmit at Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal special issue on entrepreneurial ecosystems.
- B. Spigel. Entrepreneurial ecosystems and the strategic management of place. In preparation for submission to Journal of Business Venturing.
- B. Spigel and C. Brunelle. Evolution, entrepreneurship, and lock-in in resource-driven regional economies: The case of the offshore oil industry in St. John’s, Newfoundland. In preparation for submission to Enviornment and Planing A
- Presented at Invited Talk at Harris Centre for Public Policy, Memorial University of Newfoundland
- B. Spigel. Time, space and context in offshore oil entrepreneurship. In preparation for submission to International Small Business Journal.
- Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Diversification in Times of Crisis: Challenges and Opportunities for Newfoundland. Talk Given at the Leslie Harris Centre of Regional Policy and Development, Memorial University, St. John’s Newfoundland, June 14th. 2016
- Resource Acquisition and Institutional Structure in Entrepreneurial Ecosystems. Talk given at Sheffield University Management School. May 20th, 2016.
- Entrepreneurs’ acquisition and co-production of resources within entrepreneurial ecosystems. Talk given at the Scottish Entrepreneurship Research Seminar, The Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow. May 10th, 2016.
- Innis’s ghost revisited: Entrepreneurial diversification and lock-in in resource dependent regions. Talk given at Memorial University Geography Department, St. John’s Newfoundland. October 17, 2014.
- Economic change and entrepreneurial transformation in Canada’s capital city. Talk given at Capital Cities Conference, Centre for Regional Economic Development, University of Bern, Switzerland. March 12th, 2014.
- Cultural change and entrepreneurial resiliency: Technology entrepreneurship and crisis in Ottawa. Talk given at the Innovation Policy Lab, Munk School of Global Affairs, Toronto, Ontario. January 15th, 2013.
- Culture and Canadian entrepreneurship: Regional differences and patterns. Talk given at the Telfer School of Management, Ottawa, Ontario. October 29th, 2010.
- B. Spigel (2016). “Resource acquisition and co-production in entrepreneurial ecosystems.” Presented at the 19th Annual Uddevalla Entrepreneurship Research Symposium, London. June 28 - July 1, 2016.
- B. Spigel (2016). “Resource acquisition and co-production in entrepreneurial ecosystems.” Presented at the Babson Entrepreneurship Research Conference, Bodø, Norway. June 7-11, 2016.
- B. Spigel and T. Vinodrai (2015). “Blossom or rot: Anchor firm collapse, entrepreneurship, and labour market effects”. Presented at the 2016 Association of American Geographers Annual Conference, San Francisco, CA. March 28 - April 2.
- B. Spigel and T. Vinodrai (2015). “Did they stay or did they go? Digital talent and ICT anchor firm restructuring in Waterloo.” Presented at the Canadian Digital Opportunity Annual Meeting, Ottawa, ON. April 28-29.
- B. Spigel and C. Brunelle (2015). “Evolution, entrepreneurship and lock-in in resource-driven regional economies.” Presented at 2015 Association of American Geographers Conference, Chicago, IL. April 21-25
- B. Spigel (2015) “The relational dynamics and governance of entrepreneurial ecosystems: Evidence from Edinburgh.” Presented at 2015 Association of American Geographers Conference, Chicago, IL. April 21-25
- B. Spigel (2014). “Regional culture and networking techniques amongst Canadian entrepreneurs.” Presented at RGS-IBG Annual International Conference, London, UK. August 27-29.
- B. Spigel (2014). “The cultural governance of entrepreneurial ecosystems”. Presented at 17th Annual Uddevalla Entrepreneurship Symposium, Uddevalla, Sweden. June 12-14.
- E. Malecki and B. Spigel (2013). “Entrepreneurship and innovation”. Presented at the 60th Annual North American Meetings of the Regional Science Association International, Atlanta, GA, November 13-16.
- B. Spigel (2013) “Regional cultures and entrepreneurial resiliency.” Presented at the 2013 Association of American Geographers Conference, Los Angeles, CA, April 9-13.
- B. Spigel (2012) “Entrepreneurship and tolerance.” Presented at the 2012 Canadian Association of Geographers, Ontario Division Conference. Scarborough, Ontario, October 12-13.
- B. Spigel (2012) “Regional cultures and entrepreneurial environments: A Bourdieuian approach.” Presented at the 2012 Experience the Creative Economy Workshop, Toronto, ON. June 19-22.
- B. Spigel (2012) “Cultural contexts and entrepreneurial intentions.” Presented at the 2012 Babson Entrepreneurship Research Conference. Fort Worth, TX, June 7-9.
- B. Spigel (2012) “Regional cultural contexts and entrepreneurial intentions: A Bourdieusian approach.” Presented at the 2012 Association of American Geographers Conference. New York, NY, February 24-28.
- B. Spigel. (2011) “The cultures of Canadian entrepreneurship.” Presented at the 2011 Canadian Association of Geographers Conference. Calgary AB, June 1-3.
- B. Spigel. (2011) “Entrepreneurship and regional culture: A Bourdieusian perspective.” Presented at the 2011 Association of American Geographers Conference. Seattle, WA, April 12-16.
- H. Bathelt and B. Spigel (2010) “The relational geography of North American Trade Fairs” Presented at the 2010 Association of American Geographers Conference. Washington D.C. April 17-21
- H. Bathelt, M. Munro and B. Spigel. (2010) “Challenges of transformation: innovation, re-bundling and traditional manufacturing in Canada’s Technology Triangle.” Presented at the 2010 Association of American Geographers Conference. Washington D.C. April 17-21
- B. Spigel. (2010) “Proximity, location and informal knowledge spillovers.” Presented at the Association of University Technology Managers Annual Conference. New Orleans, LA. March 17-20
- B.Spigel. (2009) “Propinquity and the environments of academic knowledge exchange.” Presented at the 2009 Association of American Geographers Conference. Las Vegas, Nevada. March 22-27
- B. Spigel. (2008) “The micro-geographies of academic knowledge transfer.” Presented at the 2008 Association of American Geographers Conference. Boston, Massachusetts. April 15-19
- L. Brown, S. Chung, M. Webb and B. Spigel. (2008) “Housing foreclosures in Columbus, Ohio: Where, who, why.” Presented at the 2008 Association of American Geographers Conference. Boston, Massachusetts. April 15-19.
- B. Spigel. (2008) “What can early developers of Linux teach us about open knowledge?” Presented at Open Knowledge 2.0. London, England. March 15.
- B. Spigel. (2007) “Transmission or Transmutation? The role of tacit knowledge and codification in the creation of the Linux operating system.” Presented at the 2007 Association of American Geographers Conference. San Francisco, California. April 16-22
- C. Rinner, B. Spigel and M Raubal. (2005) “User interface design for location-based decision services.” Presented at the 13th International Conference of Geoinformatics, Toronto Ontario. August 18th.
- Course Designer and Organiser — Technology Commercialisation and the Entrepreneurial Ecosystem (MSc course on new technology commercialisation and innovation)
- Course Organiser - Enterprise Consultancy Project (honours capstone class)
- Course Organiser - Green and Sustainable Entrepreneurship (honours seminar on environmental ventures)
- Course Instructor - New Economic Spaces(200 student introduction to economic geography)
- 2015-2016 — University of Edinburgh Business School Early Career Venture Fund for project “Institutional and Cultural Governance of Entrepreneurial Ecosystems” £7,278
- 2014-2015 — British Academy / Leverhulme Small Research Grant for project “Entrepreneurial Innovation in Resource-Driven Economies: Pathways to Diversification or Economic Lock-in?” £8,250
- 2014 — Business School Staff Development Fund - £1,165
- 2011 — School of Graduate Studies Winter 2011 Conference Grant - $150 (CND)
- 2010 — Travel Funding - The Associates of the University of Toronto Travel Award - $900 (CND)
- 2010 — Travel Funding - Summer Institute in Economic Geography - $300 (CND)
- 2008-2010 — Research Allowance, Innovation Systems Research Network - $8,000 (CND)
- 2008-2012 — University of Toronto Fellowship - $6,500 (CND)
- 2008 — Travel Grant, Department of Geography, Ohio State University - $450 (USD)
- 2007 — Travel Grant, Department of Geography, Ohio State University - $450 (USD)
- 2006 — Student Experience Program, Project Open Source | Open Access, Toronto Knowledge, Media and Design Institute - $1,440 (CND)
- B. Spigel (2016). Entrepreneurship, innovation, and diversification during times of crisis: Challenges and opportunities for Newfoundland. University of Edinburgh Business School Policy White Paper
- B. Spigel (2016). Edinburgh’s entrepreneurial and support ecosystem. University of Edinburgh Business School Policy White Paper.
- B. Spigel (2016). Start-ups are booming, but our entrepreneurs need to learn to sell. Op-Ed in The Times, March 1
- B. Spigel, G. Spencer and D. Wolf (2013). Sociocultural Dynamics of Creativity and Innovation. Report to the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development.
- H. Bathelt, A. Munro and B. Spigel (2011) Challenges of transformation: Innovation, re-bundling and traditional manufacturing in Canada’s Technology Triangle. Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography #11-11.
- H. Bathelt, A. Munro and B. Spigel (2011) Industries innovate and prosper. Editorial in The Toronto Star, November 7.
- B. Spigel. (2008) “The Geographies of academic knowledge exchange” Masters Thesis, Ohio State University. Edward Malecki, advisor.
- B. Spigel. (2005) “Open source release options for research results: An overview of best practice examples for small software projects.” (2005) Knowledge Media and Design Institute, Project Open Source | Open Access. http://www.open.utoronto.ca
- Review of “The Innovation Union in Europe: A Socio-Economic Perspective on EU Integration” by Elias Carayannis and George Korres, eds. Journal of Regional Science 55(2): 324-5.
- Review of “The Handbook of Evolutionary Economic Geography” by Ron Boschma and Ron Martin, eds. Economic Geography Working Group (http://www.egrg.org.uk/bkreview.html#bk2011)
- Review of “Managing Financial Risk: From Global to Local” by Gordan Clark, Adam Dixon and Ashby Monk, eds. Economic Geography Research Group (http://www.egrg.org.uk/bkreview2010_09.html)
- University of Edinburgh Business School Best Teaching Innovation Award (2015/2016)
- University of Edinburgh Business School Best Feedback Award (2015/2016)
- University of Edinburgh Business School Inspirational Teaching Award (2015/2016)
- Nominee — Edinburgh University Student Association Teaching Award (2015/2016)
- Selected Attendee — 2012 Experiencing the Creative Economy Workshop, Toronto, Ontario (2012)
- Joseph A. May Scholarship (2011, $1,000 CAD)
- Department of Geography Graduate Expansion Fund Award - (2011, $1000 CND)
- First Prize — ESRI Social Media Challenge (2010, $5,000 USD)
- Selected Attendee — Summer Institute in Economic Geography, Vancouver. (2010)
- Second Place — Association of University Technology Managers Graduate Research Paper Prize (2010)
- Selected Attendee — Edward F. Hayes Graduate Research Forum (2007)
- University of Edinburgh Quarter-Mile Redevelopment Project Committee (2016 - Present)
- Department of Geography and Munk School of Global Affairs Hiring Committee (2012-2013)
- Academy of Management
- Association of American Geographers
- Regional Studies Association
- Royal Society of the Arts
- Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal
- Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice
- Small Business Economics
- Journal of Business Venturing
- Regional Studies
- Journal of Economic Geography
- Papers in Regional Science
- Industry and Innovation
- Environment and Planning A
- The Geographical Journal
- International Journal of Knowledge-Based Design